Tuesday, February 5, 2008

branding coleman miller


While floundering around here in the job hunt one creative director, after seeing my work, told me i had to market myself. This guy was great. He actually returned my calls! (If you're reading this sir, it's most appreciated) (He's not reading this..too busy making a living as a CREATIVE DIRECTOR) Now THAT sounds like a great job. But who knows..damn i am so lost as to how those places work i might as well be applying for work on Mars. As a glurnatologist. and i have no formal training in glurnatology. just a passing interest really. but i digress.
"aw shucks you guys I'm not lookin' for a handout... just a hand".
it's starting to look like im gonna have to do this the old fashioned way. DIY.
yeah thats it. by this time next year I'll have produced my first Super Bowl commercial, I'll be living in my Laurel Canyon house with my superspokesmodel wife and our three superspokeskids and I'll be driving a classic 1965 cherry red Asti Spumante.
Yeah, I got it all figured out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some advice for you for your self-marketing.
I liked what you did with the layout you posted but I don't think it's what your are really after especially if what you are looking to do is different from Uso Justo. That was a black and white movie, if you want to continue in that same vein then fine but maybe you don't. So you have change things around so it would be a more modern representation of your work. It's like dressing for the job you hope to have, not for the one you've got. Do research about how other film makers are marketing themselves. Search for any kind of self-marketing that anybody in the arts fields are doing, see if you can incorporate it into your own ideas about how you want to get yourself and talents across. If you've seen something you thought was real cool that somebody else did figure out a way to make it work for you. A logo is almost always a good thing, get a professional designer to do it. Sometimes people will remember a logo easier than they remember a name.
I don't really know what you are trying to accomplish or what kind of jobs you are after so I don't have any specific ideas for you. I know next to nothing about film making but if you want some help with it I'm willing to. Get my email from S.H.
Either way keep working, even if it's just stuff to entertain your friends or us readers, you NEVER know when it's gonna end up being bigger than what it started out to be. I know you're surrounded with a lot of talented people up there, use them. Good Luck to ya.

Anonymous said...

Bluegirl has some great advice for you buddy...I'm certain there's no magic bullet or one-size-fits-all or a magic bullet between the eyes of self-marketer wearing one-size-fits-all duds.

Two things occurred to me: 1. how important is location to you? Are you best served by being in this particular location? and 2. Podcasting...Future Tense had a well-balanced story about it on NPR this a.m. Could be just up your alley.

Anonymous said...

Hey maybe send info to Tona Williams, who runs BigBite (www.bigbite.org)